This magical cake will impress your family and friends!
These look so delicious! This recipe is my favorite, from the vanilla custard filling to the powdered sugar. It’s magic! It is the same batter that’s been poured into a baking pan and baked in the oven. To make a perfect sweetened, creamy custard, the layers are separated. The best thing? It’s so easy to put together!
15m prep time
45m cook time
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 4 eggs, separated into yolk & egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Prepare an 8×8 baking dish by lightly greasing the bottom and sides.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and powdered sugar until pale yellow. Add in butter and water, beating until evenly combined.
- Mix in the flour and cinnamon until evenly incorporated. Slowly beat in the milk and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Fold in the egg whites (1/3 at a time, then repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in).
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-60 minutes (until the cake is barely jiggly in the center). If the top browns too quick before the minimum of 40 minutes, cover the cake with aluminum foil.