My grandma’s recipe for apple crisp is so simple and it’s the best! The filling offers lots of cinnamon apples with the sweetness of sugar and a little tanginess from the addition of orange juice. The crust is buttery and crunchy. No oatmeal in this recipe! You won’t miss it one bit.
~ preheat oven to 350 degrees F. ~
- 6 to 7 large, tart apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 scant cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons butter
- Arrange apple slices in the bottom of a buttered, 8×8 glass baking dish or deep dish pie plate. Pour orange juice over the apple slices. Mix the cinnamon and 1/2 cup of sugar, and sprinkle it evenly over the apples.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, and the salt. Mix well. Add the butter and cut it into the flour mixture using a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle this crumb mixture evenly over the apples. Top everything with a bit more cinnamon, if you like. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is crispy and golden brown.
- Enjoy with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!